Thursday, November 10, 2005

1066 and all that

d-day is coming. that is teaching d-day. maybe a shouldn't use historical metaphors when i'm writing about my history teaching- it could get confusing. another invasion is in fact coming. On monday i begin teaching a variety of year 7's about the Norman conquest, and then later in the week some year 9's about the first world war armistice (did you know jelly babies were originally introduced in 1918 as "peace babies" to celebrate the end of the war, they only changed their name in the 50's).

I should have started this monday and i was all psyched up and prepared to but the classes hadnt got to the right point to hand over yet- which isnt surprising as the history teachers at the school do some completly random topics that go off in amazing tangents. I also have the privilage of having the very latest of classroom technology to work with on this placement. yes i know you will be amazed. we a have a roller blackboard. i bet you teachers thought i was going to say we had an interactive whiteboard and a projector for powerpoint (or even a whiteboard for that matter).

I even got to sit in on my first parents evening today, although we were mercifully allowed to bow out early.

so yes indeed. monday morning the normans shall be invading a classroom near you.- well near me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you also teach the kids to write without capital letters and to spell the "teh"?

I think you should.

Cos I'm real bohemian like you.

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Steve, good luck, I remember my first placement. Sex education in science to an all boys class in Year 9. Nothing else really needs to be said does it?

Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Steve, all the best for Monday. I wish I had one peice of sound advice to give you but I don't! However, I know that you will do a great job and I hope you enjoy it.
J

Anonymous said...

ha, you're a grown up.

Matthew Francis said...

A roller blackboard is pretty good, non? I had a teacher here when I was about 12, Mr. Schmidt, that was a sure shot marksman with a piece of chalk, and one time got a piece right in the mouth of some loud teenage scallywag! Perhaps this is your chance to work on those skills. C'mon, parents these days love that kind of thing! : )

Matthew Francis said...

So perhaps it IS the thing you fling...

Post a Comment